Plano – DRUG RECOGNITION EXPERT – BASIC CERTIFICATION
April 22 @ 8:00 am - May 2 @ 5:00 pm CDTFree
*REQUEST FOR APPLICATION*
152-hour course to certify officers as Drug Recognition Experts. The course consists of three phases and a Certification Knowledge Examination:
- DRE Pre-School
- DRE School
The DRE Pre-School and DRE School run together over two consecutive weeks (9 days total)
- DRE Field Certification
The DRE Field Certification Phase begins the Monday after the DRE School and runs five days. It may require a day or two of a second week to complete the field evaluations.
For logistical reasons, all field certification training takes place at either the Bexar County Jail (San Antonio), or the Harris County Jail JPC (Houston).
- DRE Certification Knowledge Examination
The DRE Certification Knowledge Exam takes at the original DRE School location a week or two after the conclusion of the Field Certification Phase.
When you apply, you will be given an Agency Acknowledgement Form detailing the dates, times, and location of all events listed above.
Requirements to Attend:
- Have a minimum of two years experience as a Texas peace officer employed by any state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency.
- Have completed the NHTSA 24-hour Standardized Field Sobriety Testing course prior to application.
- Possess a reasonable background in impaired driving enforcement.
- Possess a documented ability to complete thorough and accurate reports.
- Recommendation of two current Drug Recognition Experts.
Once your application is received you will be emailed a complete information packet.
Seat confirmation in the course is considered in the order that the completed application packets are received.
In cases where the school reaches capacity, suitable applicants will be placed on a waiting list.
Application to the DRE School is a competitive process and acceptance is not guaranteed.
*Please note this submission does not register you for the course, it is a request for application for the course.